Question: What is the best way to find a job you love?
Dear Job Hunter,
First of all, I am happy and delighted you asked that question!
Because it means that you are conscious of the fact that you should find work you enjoy and are not just thinking of your j-o-b as a way to pay the bills.
So hooray for you! You are aware that you need to take command of your life and career.
With that being said, I want to share with you fifteen signs you should look for in a career you love:
1. Lifestyle – Does it support a lifestyle you enjoy?
Make sure you live life at your pace doing the things you want to do.
2. Industry – Are you part of a community you care about?
The industry you are a part of will become your tribe and second family. Make sure you care about what it stands for.
3. Passion – Are you excited to wake up every day?
If you are having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, that is not a good sign.
4. Expert – Do you love learning everything about it?
The only way to excel at what you do is by becoming an expert at your craft and in your field. If you are not seeing your career evolve and grow, it’s because you are not committed to being the best at it.
5. Talent – Does it accentuate your natural gift?
You have a natural talent and your life will feel so much better if your job tapped into those gifts.
6. Social – Do you love telling people what you do?
If you go out into social environments and have a hard time telling people what you do, then find something until you do like telling people.
7. Payment – Does it feel strange being paid for it?
You deserve to be paid for what you do. But when you love what you do, that is a reward unto itself and therefore might feel strange when you are also given a check for it.
8. Talk – Can you talk about it endlessly without getting tired of it?
When you are passionate about what you do, you can talk endlessly about it.
9. Challenge – Does it challenge you enough so that you grow as a person?
You need challenge in your life and your job needs to push you out of your comfort zone. But remember, there is a difference between challenge and struggle.
10. Fear – Are you afraid to fail?
When you really care about what you are doing, you will be afraid to fail. When you don’t care you become complacent.
11. Appreciated – Are you acknowledged for the work you do?
We all need to feel appreciated and acknowledged for what we do. Its a form of sustenance that our psyche needs to survive. Without it, you will become miserable.
12. Fulfilled – Do you go to sleep at night feeling good about your day?
Most people need to eat sweets at night to feel good about their day. But when you love what you do, you’ll feel Full-filled.
13. Fun – Are you having fun at work?
You are going to spend half your life at work. Shouldn’t it be fun?
14. Positive Difference – Are you making a positive difference in the world?
We all need to feel good about what we are doing. Knowing that what we do makes a difference in some way will play a big part in not living life with regrets.
15. Worry Free – Do you no longer worry about stability and financial security?
When you are living your passion and dialed into your authentic career, you will no longer have to worry about your finances and having stability.
When you are looking for a job you love, you should keep these things in mind and be able to answer these questions honestly with yourself.
With that said, you are going to need to build a career strategy, not just a job search strategy.
Build A Strategy
What’s the difference?
All too often people think of their job search as something they are doing right now and don’t keep in mind how it will position them for future job changes. Unless you’re OK with starting from scratch, what you do now will play a big role in what you do five years from now.
I have started over twice in my career, and I can tell you from experience that it’s not easy. However, I am a hustler and was not afraid of hard work—I love a good challenge!
But most people don’t live life with that approach.
This all comes down to some simple questions:
- What do you want from your life and career?
- Do you know who you are?
- Do you know what success means to you?
If you have been going through life and have not answered these big questions, then you will constantly find yourself job-hopping or feeling unfulfilled from your work.
If you would like some help setting priorities and building a career strategy so you can find a job you love…Go Here